Essential Minor Harmonic Exercises mini course
Learning and becoming familiar with the different sound worlds of the 4 main Minor scales is of paramount importance for the improvisor and composer.
This download has been designed to help you get really inside the Natural, Dorian, Harmonic and Melodic minors.
To do this each Minor scale has been re-enforced with chords so as to bring out the particular sound emotions each one imbues. The chords emphasises the unique colour of each Minor and expands our harmonic and melodic awareness
If we can master these sounds we can take our playing and musicianship to much higher profounder levels.
This carefully prepared download is loaded full of resources that will help you learn the different sound worlds of each minor once and for all.
Included in the package :
- 15 minute Jazzduets Video tutorial (not available on Youtube) that has been meticulously and prepared with attention on clarity and detail! (see below for fast preview)
- PDF tutorial booklet that includes the 4 scales in 12 keys written out for the Piano + and extensive Introduction covering alternate harmonisations+ FAQ section
- A podcast version of the whole PDF book so you can learn by ear (the best way) in the car or on the bus!
- 28 minute Podcast Audio listening resource Mp3 of the Piano examples of the Pdf tutorial Booklet so you can immerse yourself in the sounds for hours!
- 48 Audio mp3 files of all the examples that can you can use to train your ear to the hear the unique sound emotions each different minor scale evokes
- Blindfold random full 28 minute Mp3 Eartraining test (answers after each minor). This features the 48 tests.
- Midi files of all the harmonisations so that you add them to any Digital Audio Workstation and change the sounds, speed , use the chords for songs, as playalongs or just for eartraining.
- Deep Listening slow Meditation string versions (58 minutes) for you to immerse yourself deeply in the sound world and emotions of each minor. This can also be used as a playalong to improvise over.
- Lead sheet PDF with chord symbols of the 48 harmonisations so you can test your chord symbol knowledge
- Roman Numeral version of the 4 Minor harmonisations that tests wether you can translate the Roman numeral symbols to any key!
The mini-course opens my eyes to the possibilities of harmonization (and reharmonization) I am currently exploring. Harmonization (and reharm) are probably your unique selling point in this field of online music tutorial (compared to other online music tutorial providers that I have subscribed to) Another good selling point I note is tools of practice (including the pdfs) that you provide: the different way of practice (appealing! I think). Both selling points above are very attractive to me as a classically trained pianist (who has hit my head against the wall of dull old-fashioned piano practice). Keep up the goods work and stay healthy, bro.
Hi Nick. I haven’t delved into the material very deeply at this moment. But I am about to and know that I am going to enjoy this material as I have In the past with your YouTube programs. I love the way you present the material and you have an interesting take on it. You always have interesting stuff to present Such as soul scales. Also in the material you talk about the melodic minor in that the jazz melodic minor is usually all that’s considered. I haven’t seen The raised 6 and 7 going up and lowered coming down version since grade 10 and that is about 55 years ago. I’ve often wondered why there is a difference but nobody else seems to discuss it. Is it because melodies going up are more optimistic where as melodies going down are less positive. Thank you for you wonderful insights.
A beautiful lesson! Very clear and well thought out. I love the way Nick thinks about and helps the student think about and hear harmony!.
A very useful guide helping me to ingrain minor harmonies into piano playing and improvising. Need some time to get used to it. Thanks!
Really good. Thanks for a great lesson in jazz