Advanced Jazz Saxophone Duets vol 1
Looking for a challenge?
These duets were written whilst I was exiled (self imposed- long story!) in La Rioja, Northern Argentina. I wrote them, recorded them, then improved them . I repeated this cycle over my 8 years isolation enjoying the process of trying to achieve perfection!
Advanced Saxophone Duets VOLUME 1 for Performers (29 pages) contains 8 Original Duets providing the experienced Saxophonist with challenging material written with live performance in mind that explore the many styles found in Jazz today- Mainstream, Funk, Bebop, Blues and Brazilian.
The pieces contain introductions, codas, modulations as well as written Solos full of real Jazz language that increase interest and challenge . Suitable for more advanced players who are looking for total immersion in the Jazz idiom. Inside almost every Duet a musical tribute to some great Jazz composer or improvisor of some sort has been inserted with the purpose of enriching the pieces whilst at the same time disseminating the Jazz continuum ("the truth as some people like to call it").
Instrumentation- 2 Saxophones
1. Bourbon Street Blues in the key of A features a solo brimming with phrases reminiscent of Johnny Hodges to whom it is dedicated. The ‘head out’ is developed further with a modulation to Bb and adds rhythmic and harmonic variation (2.20)
2. Tuxedo - standardish AABA straight ahead tune with solo based on
'I can't believe you are in love with me'
3. Blue Tones - Mccoy Tyner influenced blues with challenging solo
4. Choro 9- Brazilian chorinho that is full of chromatic of Jazz language
and approach notes (for Soprano and Alto)
5. Dood- Funk work out in E dorian
6. Ramblin Blues is dedicated to the grandfather of jazz - Duke Ellington, composer of such classics as Take the A Train, Mood Indigo and Satin Doll. Starts in F major, modulating to F# in the solo and heads out in G major - adding colour and tension (2.25)
7. Farrago- (bundled) 5/4 workout!
8. Memphis Blues in honour of legendary saxophonist John Coltrane with reference to the Crescent album (1.58)
"Advanced Duets for performers Duets are challenging, very musical and demonstrate a deep understanding of the Blues & Jazz vocabulary. There is plenty of stylistic language that can be gleaned from these duet studies. Extended range, chromaticism, rhythmic interplay and well conceived independent contrapuntal parts present some good technical and musical challenges for the players"
Greg Heath - B.A. A.D.J.S.
Saxophonist, Composer, Arranger, Educator
- saxophone profesor
Bought for my son, for a bit of variation from his grading pieces. Great music, so convenient to be able to just order this and receive it immediately, especially as things are at the moment. Will definitely use again, thanks!
I am saxophone profesor and I like this material to work duets with my students. Thank you
Great material !! Thank you very much.
The music is great for if you need to find quick and affordable jazz duets.
This is great! It would be better if there was a fingering chart at the back of the page.